Wednesday, December 26, 2007

i do not want to see "superbad" more than once

I've noticed that people are really into giving movie DVDs as presents as of late. The DVD seems to have wedged itself somewhere between the gift certificate and that really cool inside joke present as a gift that shows you care but that isn't too expensive/elaborate.

Never get me a DVD as a present.

Either I've seen the movie before or I haven't. If I have, there is little chance I am going to want to see it again. One screening of "Pirates of the Caribbean" is plenty, thank you very much. I can probably count on one hand (god I hate that expression, but I just used it, so who knows if I really hate it?) the number of movies that I want to be able to see multiple times whenever I please. Unless you are sure you are buying me a rare I-would-marry-this-movie movie, don't risk it.

Or I haven't seen the movie you bought me. There is usually a reason for this. I skipped "300" and "Transformers" because I didn't want to see them, not because I wanted you to get them for me on DVD six months later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

there are two types of people in this world: people who own field of dreams on dvd and people who dont have a soul

Donnell said...

Movies worth owning on DVD are usually directed by Sofia Coppola or Wes Anderson.

p.s. I'm a movie snob.

Anonymous said...

Dang, now what am i supposed to do with this "Melrose Place" full series DVD box-set I was about to give ya?

kariwastaken said...

Totally agree with you. It's only the rare movie that can be seen more than once (example: Braveheart). Speaking of (typing of?), do you ever find yourself comparing any warrior-like monologue in a movie with William Wallace's freedom speech (think: Aragorn in Return of the King)? I guess it's hard not to try and replicate greatness...

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I love the blog! I always look forward to reading your witty musings and commentary on everyday life. I often find myself laughing and nodding along to a lot of what you have to say. (strange visual? Perhaps.) So, thanks for sharing! Out of curiosity, what's your major?

Welp, now that I've revealed my english nerd-dom by writing a book, I'm out. Happy 2008 in t minus 5 days!

ready4orbit said...

What about the movies you want on DVD so you can show them to other people.... that is definitely a category you neglected!