Saturday, January 5, 2008

saturday night dance party

I do not understand why local pop radio stations play dance music on Saturday nights.

Starting as early as 6 or 7 p.m., the most popular Boston radio station -- which I can typically count on when I want some easy-on-the-ears Rihanna, Timbaland or other top 40 fare -- switches to an all-club music all-the-time format. Turn on the radio at 9:47 p.m. on a Saturday on that long drive home looking for that "starts in my toes and I crinkle my nose" song to warm your heart and instead you get an unrecognizable dance remix of "Big Girls Don't Cry."

Here's the thing: no one (unless they are 12-years-old or incredibly lame) who is throwing a dance party on a Saturday night is going to turn on the radio for their rockin' party soundtrack. And the people who are driving on a Saturday night -- who I would imagine make up 95 percent of the radio-listening audience -- are not (in most cases) dancing; they don't want to hear dance club music. If anything, it's as though the radio is saying: "Yeah, Josh, you are pretty lame. While all the cool 22-year-olds are out having the time of their lives while listening to music like this, you are sitting in your car eating French fries out of a bag and watching motorcycles pass you on the highway." And even though I change the station, the fast beats still reverberate in my ears.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love you,
for realz.