Monday, January 28, 2008

words that sting

So, as my roommate can attest to, I hit the proverbial wall about half an hour ago and desperately needed some coffee so that I wouldn't start drooling on my keyboard, head bobbing in that really weird I-am-falling-asleep-while-I-sit-in-a-chair way.

Little did I know that my coffee run would result in a truly excellent encounter!

Koffee on Audubon, 9:33 p.m.

I bound up to the counter, ears red because they are cold. Female employee with a shaggy black haircut and black nails greets me.

Me: Could I get a large iced coffee, please. . .?

She gets a cup and fills it with ice.

Me: You probably think I'm really weird for ordering an iced coffee today.

Shaggy Black Haircut: Naw, I got an iced coffee this morning. So I guess that means you are as weird as I am.

Me: Perhaps I am as weird as you.

SBH shudders visibly as she puts the lid on my coffee.

SBH: Sorry, I just hate the word 'perhaps.' Like I really don't like it.

Me: Oh, I'm sorry. I had no idea.

SBH hands me my drink and I hand her a $20.

SBH: I also hate the word 'moist.'

Me: Oh, well, that's more common. I know a lot of people who hate that word.

SBH hands me my change.

Me: Well, PERHAPS I'll see you later.

SBH: Jackass. You're cute.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate the word whilst. And it's an epidemic online, I see it everywhere, especially wikipedia entries and message boards.

Anonymous said...

I've always had a huge problem with the word applicable but only when the stress is placed on the "lic" of the word.