Monday, February 25, 2008

oscar the grouch

Either the people who run award shows are senile, 85-year-olds or they are being held hostage by Jack Nicholson (or both): because homeboys do not know how to make a watchable awards show. They make the exact same lame mistakes every year and never learn and never change. I watch my fair share of award shows, but -- let me tell you, friends -- I am close to my breaking point.

Three of the biggest WTF Awards Show problems:

1) The Death Applause-o-Meter. I cannot for the life of me understand why the producers of these shows think it's normal/appropriate/respectful to let everyone at home hear how loud the audience members clap for each of the deceased famous people. Back in the day, I used to think it was mildly amusing to sit on my couch and wait to see who got the most applause ("Heath totally has this year in the bag!"), but now I just feel sort of slimy and fidgety as some deceased costume designer who looks like she was a perfectly nice woman gets NO APPLAUSE from the clueless audience.

2) Obvious Introductions. Every introduction to acting categories goes like this: "What do a Taiwanese locksmith, a revenge-seeking bounty hunter, a hopeful astronaut, a dying cancer patient and a man who just wants to see his son again have in common? They were characters brought to life by men giving the performances of their lives, performances pulsating with strength, power, humility and rage. The nominees are..."

3) Montages. homework : college:: montages : award shows

2 comments:

Chris said...

And John Stewart was an atrocious host.

LHOOQ said...

a lot of people seem to like bashing on award shows. yeah their absurd and formulaic, but so is law and order. then again i might be the only one left who likes that too