Friday, February 29, 2008

pen pals

When a stranger asks me to borrow a pen at the beginning of class and then actually remembers to return it to me when class gets out, I am always shocked. I'm not really sure why, but in that second when he hands me back my writing implement and says thank you and smiles, I think that he must be one of those really good people who like carries groceries for Alzheimer's patients and sings songs to blind kids. I take my pen back (a pen which - let's remember - I owned in the first place), toss it in my bag and - as I walk out of the lecture hall - I realize I have that same feeling you have when you look in the mirror and realize that the sweater you're wearing looks awesome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

most people just forget

Anonymous said...

Wait, is the implication that Alzheimer's patients forget to carry their own groceries out?

Kate Gold said...

That is my life story. I hand out pencils all the time, and am so surprised to get one back. It seems to happen when you least expect it too.

Stranger: Here you go! Thanks for letting me borrow your pencil.
BFF: (Chewing on pencil) Well I'll see ya later, okay?