Monday, March 17, 2008

'cause there ain't no doubt i love this land

So Text Message in a Bottle (a.k.a me) is in Las Vegas now with his family so I'll be bloggin' from Vegas for the next week as frequently as I can. Maybe I should change the name for the week? Slot Machine in a Half Yard Glass? Show Girl in a Shot Glass? Any other ideas?

Anyway, I'm taking copious notes in my trusty blog journal (blurnal?) so y'all are in for a lot of Vegas-inspired observations over the next few days.

At dinner last night, our table looked out on the "lake" in front of our hotel. Every 15 minutes, there is this ridiculous, intense "fountain show" in which these massive fountains sprout out from the lake. Everyone in our restaurant turned their heads in rapturous attention at each eruption, drool dripping from their mouths as if they had never seen/tasted/etc. water before. (I was sitting with my back to the window and was forced to choose between craning my neck around to look every 15 minutes or just concentrating really hard on eating while everyone else looked. I chose the latter each and every time.)

Anyway, our waiter came over at the beginning of the meal and was super outgoing (which seems to be the case with most Vegas waiters) and was blabbin' on about the fountains. My dad, who considers himself something of a Vegas expert, looked up from his menu and asked -- in that condescending way people do when they think they already know the answer to a question -- "The fountains light up in colors when it gets dark, right?"

"No, no, of course not" Bubbly Waiter responded, with a hearty laugh. "If you think about it, that would be kind of tacky."
Really, Bubbly Waiter?! That would be tacky?! If the lights were colored, that would be the one thing that would tip the fountain show IN FRONT OF THE FAKE EIFFEL TOWER from "totally normal" to "tacky"?!

I went out to take the above picture of the fountain show for this post tonight and was surrounded by 60 or so mostly foreign tourists crazily snapping photos of the fountains and the Eiffel Tower replica as "God Bless America" blared over the loud speakers. I have only been in this city for a day and half and I can say with some confidence that I'm pretty sure this scene sums this place up pretty nicely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha I am flying out to Vegas with MY in less than one hour and you bet I'll be keeping your comments in mind.
And another note--we're staying in that hotel with the fountains :/