Tuesday, June 9, 2009

lovefool

My usual salad place was super crowded today for some reason (rain causing roughage cravings?) so they had some new guy helping the usual duo. The new guy was all serious and wasn't wearing a baseball cap and I wasn't feeling it. As I started listing my components, he aggravated me by preemptively barking "whatellllse?" before he had even tossed in the ingredient I had just said! But, as he put together my salad with no passion whatsoever, my usual guy (who was standing next to him and making another salad) gathered a handful of cranberries and tossed them into my salad in one swoop, without saying a word or making eye contact with me or No Hat. Cranberries are always my last ingredient.

Now, even though Usual Guy makes my salad every day, we have a mostly wordless relationship of nods and "thank yous" and not much else. No Hat looked at Usual Guy briefly after the cranberry toss, and then back at me. I just nodded, stunned by the loving gesture. And then my heart skipped a cranberry beat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you in love with a 'Cranberry" buy?