Wednesday, August 19, 2009

cape cod views

I'm on vacation with my family on Cape Cod for the week; below, the highlights of my vacay so far:

This is some new water fountain situation they installed in the center of our hotel. We were informed that someone apparently "spiked" the fountain with bubble bath Saturday night, to which I asked, "Do you think it was done... intentionally?" (perhaps not my finest moment).

"It's a spoof," my brother Sam explained.
"Of what?"
"... convention."

I spent a good four minutes by the beach Monday contemplating why this flashy gum called "Flame" (which my dad offered me and which I had never seen before) has a "5" emblazoned on it. (It remains a burning question.)

OK, you guys. get ready: this is the demonic rabbit LAMP that greeted us in the room I'm sharing with my brothers. I named it "Donnie Light-o."

Yep, this is what I was reading at the pool today. In case you can't make out the words here, this interview with the luminous Hayden Panettiere promises dish on her "favorite things: driving, pickles and 'bad good boys.'"

When I showed this picture to my 10-year-old cousin he gasped, "One person ate that all?" followed by "What is that gross thing?" (referencing the chili dog).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

5 is the brand name. According to wikipeds, it refers to the fact that apparently this gum stimulates all five human senses (even sound, I guess. Nice work, Wrigley's.). Still questionable, but as someone who spent far too long wondering the very same thing you did, thought I'd share the fruits of my research.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and flame is the flavor. There's also one called rain I think...kind of weird, but I really do like that gum taste-wise (although I'm not sure if my other four senses are really stimulated).

Jamie said...

I've had this gum before. A random marketing rep left it for me one time but I have yet to see it in stores, on commercials, etc.

Anonymous said...

5 gum was a huge fad at my high school (I graduated in '07). EVERYONE chewed it and there were commercials on TV pretty regularly. Maybe it's a west coast thing; I grew up in Calfornia.

Anonymous said...

I think it's more popular on the West Coast but you can definitely find it pretty easily on the East Coast too...but maybe that's because I already knew about it and was actually looking for it.

But it's really long lasting! They should have more commercials for it :)